What to do
Villa Poggio di Gaville offers not only ample opportunity for rest and relaxation but also various types of activities both on the grounds of the Villa and in the nearby vicinity.
Enjoy cooling off in the large inviting swimming-pool (170 mq!) or admire the unforgettable sunsets sitting by the small natural lake close to the Villa.
Enjoy the beauty of the surrounding nature by walking along paths leading to the nearby Santa Barbara lake where you can fish in the summer and even learn to sail.
Hire mountain bikes, go horse-riding, play tennis in Figline Valdarno, play golf at the Ugolino Golf club and go paragliding or hot-air ballooning in San Giovanni. Shop to your heart's content and renew your wardrobe in some of Italy's best designer Outlets nearby. We can also organize mini-bus excursions with a guide to the main Tuscan cities where you can partake in wine, oil, cheese and salami tasting.
Villa Poggio di Gaville is situated very strategically in the heart of Tuscany within easy reach of Florence, Arezzo, Siena, Greve in Chianti, Cavriglia Park, Monteriggioni, San Gimignano and Volterra.
Main attractions close to the villa
- Firenze - The most famous city in the world for Renaaissance History and Art and once home to Leonardo di Vinci, Michelangelo, Dante and Brunelleschi. Just 30 minutes away from the agriturismo by both train and car.
- The Chianti Region - One of the most prestigious wine-producing areas of Italy renowned for its Chianti Classico Wines, where you can enjoy wine tours and tasting .
- The Wine Museum in Greve in Chianti is just 15 minutes away and a further 30 minutes takes you to the beautiful hilltop towns of Siena and San Gimignano.
- The Mall - If you love shopping and want an exclusive designer experience just a few kilometres from the agriturismo, visit 'The Mall', Italy's biggest center for international brands such as Gucci, Armani, Ferre, Louis Vuitton, Yves San Laurent, Prada, Todds etc.
- Sting's home - If you are a fan of Sting, the famous English popstar, you can admire his estate in the countryside nearby.
- The famous Roman Church of Gaville - the oldest in the area.
- The Museum of Agricultural Art | Photogallery - the most famous in Tuscany.
- Lake San Cipriano just down the road.
Main courses and day trips
Our free-range horses
You will all remember the tale of the Standardbred horses sequestrated in Trequanda last May, saved from starving to death after their owner suffered a financial setback.
21 horses arrived at our center, causing huge and easily understandable management problems. First of all, there was the financial side, since, after a small contribution from the ANACT and the Siena Attorney, we had to cover all the costs to feed and care for these animals. Then there was the behavioral side: 12 of these horses were short yearlings terrified by human presence, perhaps because no one had ever bothered to approach them in a natural way; perhaps because of the “not very nice” methods used to load them on the vans during the sequestration.
Thanks to IHP and our staff’s patient, constant work, all of these horses have been put back in shape and have become easy to handle and trustful. Then, little by little, we found new families for them, wonderful people who decided to take care of their future by adopting them.
Last week the last four yearlings have been adopted: Olimpique, Principe, Spirit and Luna have been taken to Jamal Amin’s beautiful estate, which already is the home of six other horses living in freedom. Jamal is the proof of how it’s possible to love and own horses without having to ride them: they will be companion animals for him and the tourists that will so be able to observe how horses live in freedom, approach them and interact with them. Moreover, Jamal has put his estate at our disposal for future natural horsemanship courses organized by IHP.
So goodbye guys, may you have a long and happy life all together… and away from the racing world!